Saturday, January 21, 2012

Matthew 21-23

"In Christ there is nothing I can do today to make you love me more, and nothing I have done that can make you love me less." 

Chapter 23 of Matthew gives us clear example of what we are talking about regarding the difference between religion and the gospel.  Jesus describes the religion practiced by the Pharisees as one which ties up heavy burdens which are hard to bear.  It is a religion which focus' on rules and laws but does not change the inside.  Although they may do and say all the laws, the remain dead and unclean on the inside. 

We have all seen this in Christians throughout our lives.  The focus on right clothing or music or following certain rules on the outside.  But they are still full of prejudice, anger, lust, gossip, self-righteousness, pride, etc.  We have probably also seen it in ourselves.  We try to practice the right things but do not see a change in the inner lives which we never can escape.  And we feel stuck, guilty, angry and want to give up.

Maybe that is because we are focused and following the second greatest commandment (love your neighbor as yourself), without following the first (Love God with all your heart soul and mind).  Love God first and foremost.  Don't just say you love God and move to the next thing.  Linger in God's love.  Breath in God's love.  Read about God's love.  Remind yourself of God's love.  Live in God's love.  Express God's love.  Sing about God's love.  Rejoice in God's love. 

And then see how much you have changed on the inside.  And you will be able to follow the second greatest command.

That's is what I heard this morning.  What about you?

2 comments:

Creig said...

I think that most Christians want to love God, but if we were honest, would admit that we don't know how to develop a greater love for God in our heart. To "try" to love God may just be adding to our checklist of things we should for God.

For me the key has been focusing on the magnitude of my sin and His great forgiveness -- while I was still in love with my sin, Christ paid the penalty for my sin, and adopted me into His family. I didn't do anything to deserve His forgiveness -- it was His great love for me. The more I grasp His great love for me, the more I am able to love Him.

Pastor Kevin said...

YES!!!!