Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mathew 8-9

As I read these chapters the word POWER comes to mind.  Jesus can do anything!   He heals, casts out demons, calms a storm and much more.  How could we ever doubt that Jesus is not able to do anything in our lives?  Here is the question that comes to my mind as I read 9:1-8: Which takes the most power, healing a paralytic, or forgiving sins?  The way in which we treat people makes me think that for most of us, it would be easier to heal someone's illness than forgive the sins they have committed against us.  And yet we don't have the power to heal but do possess the power to forgive.  The people who saw all that Jesus did were in awe of the miraculous and glorified God for the forgiveness. 

The power of forgiveness give glory to God.  We can forgive even if we cannot cast demons out of a person into pigs or calm a raging storm.  Although we should always pray for healing and ask God to do the miraculous, what we can do is forgive.  Who do you need to forgive today?

That's what I read, what did you read?

3 comments:

mary said...

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them (9:36).

When I see the crowds of the world today do I always have compassion on them? Seeing someone in a bad way, do I lend a hand? Do I stop from my day to really listen to another? Or if I see what society may consider as someone of “low esteem” do I acknowledge their existence with a friendly smile, a polite comment?

Jesus had power in his touch. He touched the untouchables of society. He made it a point to embrace the interruptions of his day to meet the need of the person. Can I do that today? Can I leave the lists of my busy, preplanned day and embrace the people that God puts in my path? Can I reach out and touch today?

I get so comfortable in my little world some days that I fail to remember that God has called me to a greater purpose than just living in the here and now for me and dealing with unimportant issues. People are what really matter. Jesus, may I love today like you love!

Pastor Kevin said...

Speak it!

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%! Its never just about us. Our days are filled within opportunities to serve and show Gods love. Lets not stay in our comfort zone and only reach out to people when its convenient. But be bold and sacrifice for others as Jesus did for us.