Monday, January 16, 2012

Matthew 13-14

These chapters read like "Jesus 101."  What does he do?  He teaches and he does miracles, and in between he prays (14:13, 23).  These particular stories (parables) have to do with the Kingdom of Heaven, what it is like and who is a part of it.  the parable of the sower may be the most well-known of the parables and after reading both the story and the explanation the question I have is: Can the soil of our hearts be changed?

The major miracles that Jesus does in chapter 14 come after times he spent alone.  The link of prayer to Jesus' ministry is strong and often forgotten in our busy, efficient lives.  I love going to a lonely place to pray, but it is more difficult in the winter, and honestly it is still difficult in great weather.  Maybe because the thought is always there of the need to be productive rather than pray.  Did you read what I just wrote?  Yes, that is a thought that appears for all of us at times.  We do not equate prayer with efficiency or high on the value list.  We can do quick prayers at meal time and while we drive.

But Jesus' life was different.  He went to a lonely place and spent TIME in prayer.  If the Son of God needed to do this, why do we think we can do without?

That's what I am thinking, what about you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find myself all the time not making time for deep prayer. Its so easy to just put it to the side. But when I do commit to it and talk to God I feel the power of it almost instantly. And this is a real eye opener seeing that Jesus relied heavily on prayer and for me to think I can go through my days without it is just arrogant and foolish.