Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Matthew 15-16

I find it interesting how my response to certain sayings of Jesus change as I age.  Jesus said, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.  For whoever would save his life would lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. (16:24-25)

When I was a youth I could see myself on the front lines of the Kingdom of God's battles fighting the enemies of God, willing to give up my life for the Kingdom of God.  When I got married I would still do that, but I also had in my mind that I had to make sure my wife was taken care of.  When children came along I didn't think too much of this verse, but thought of raising my children into a relationship with God.  I had responsibilities and even the church responsibilities superseded denying myself, taking up my cross and following Jesus.  Trying to please people was more about surviving the church than following Jesus. (How sad is that?)

At 50, I am trying to grab hold of how this passage can be lived out in the practical details of life.  I am getting to the point where I should have been all along:  to give up anything for the sake of the Kingdom of God...even my life.  What does it profit a man to gain respect, be liked, keep his job, try not to hurt people's feelings, etc.....if he loses his soul?  It's not that I was ever in danger of losing my soul, but how many times did I choose those other things over following Jesus?  What do you choose over Jesus?

That's what I am thinking, what about you?

No comments: