Monday, January 9, 2012

Matthew 1-2

Didn't we just get done reading this during Christmas?  The great events of Jesus' birth are always an encouragement to us of God's miraculous provision, but I always seem to gravitate toward the people involved in the events.  We talk so much about Mary and Joseph and the wise men, but what about all of those people mentioned in the genealogies?  I think there are @45 individuals mentioned in these genealogies and each one of them represents the story of God working through a person to bring about His plan.  I know some of these individuals and what they did from the scriptures, but some of them are just names to me.  But God still used them.

How often do we feel insignificant, that we really don't matter to the overall picture of what God is doing?  We ask, "How can God use someone like me?"  Maybe most people will not see what you do in your faith life, but we can still be used by God to bring about God's purposes.  Don't sell yourself short.  God can use you, no matter if anyone hears about what you do or not.

What was your favorite part of the reading?

1 comment:

mary said...

Genealogies can seem rather insignificant, but yet for some reason they are important enough to document. Do you think any of those listed thought that far ahead to wonder what their future generations would produce? I often wonder if my great, great, great grandparents ever wondered if they would have great, great, great grandchildren and what they would be like.

I pondered on the obedience of Joseph. God speaking to him in his dreams - take Mary as your wife. Not only taking her as his wife, but then a child coming! What must he have thought? Mary and I to raise God's child? I'm sure he felt no pressure!

And how about the "take the child and his mother" direction? How many times is that specific in this reading? I think Joseph clinged to every word he heard from the Holy Spirit, and God had to be very detailed with Joseph, because out of reverent fear, Joseph would do exactly what God said. What if God had only said "take the child..." would Joseph have left Mary in the stable? Hmmm?

But what I really pondered on was 2:11.....”Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts......”

What treasures do I open before my King?

Humbling.

How many times do I give less than the best of my treasures to my King? Not trying to do the “lists” I heard about in Sunday sermon, but just being and giving of myself? So many times I give God my second best, or my leftovers, instead of just spending time with him. Sigh.

Just abide.