Monday, June 13, 2011

Why Are We Such Cowards?

As we were praying and worshiping near the end of the service on Sunday I had this strong impression (I believe it was from God) which posed a question that I felt God wanted me to share with the congregation.  I didn't want to say it.   It felt condemning and, in some ways, like a judgment that God was bringing to our attention.  I really hate doing those things because by nature (as a middle child) I am a people-pleaser and would want to put things in nicer way as to not offend those who who hear.  God and I wrestled for a few moments.
  • I hoped the song would go a little longer. 
  • I hoped I had heard wrong. 
  • I waited for a change in directions. 
  • I tried to rationalize by thinking this was just my thought.
  • Then I felt the anger and sadness - just a glimpse - as if God was wanting me to know that this was what He was feeling and the words needed to be said.
So I said what I was supposed to say - Why are we such cowards?

We tend to fail in our Christian lives not because we have no teaching or Christian fellowship or belief.  We fail to live the Christian life not because we are ignorant or unable or do not have desire.

We tend to fail in our Christian lives because
  • we are afraid we are missing out on something
  • we are afraid of what people might think
  • we are afraid of failure
  • we are afraid of allowing the Holy Spirit to really have access to our lives
  • we are afraid of what God might want us to do
  • we are afraid of everything except the consequences of displeasing God
Maybe we are really missing out on a healthy form of the fear of God - seeing God as He really is in totality instead of just taking a small taste of God and then doing what we want.  We fear so many things and it keeps us from what God has for us.  We are such cowards.  Why is that?

1 comment:

WhatIfWeAllCared? said...

It does seem so much easier to just do the same old thing when we only look at the surface. To let go and just let God do with us what He will can be absolutely terrifying! It can also be such a relief... giving up control and not having to make decisions about where your life is heading can be So incredibly freeing!!!