Thursday, June 2, 2011

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers

Each Monday there are several numbers that I check out.  I wonder what the attendance count was, even though our system is very imprecise.  And I look to see the offering number, which is increasingly important as our finances are getting stretched. I have always done this because I was taught to some degree that these numbers either measure the success of the ministry, or are at least indicators of what is happening.  Numbers tell us some things.  But numbers do not tell us everything.

As a staff, we also discuss who we saw (or met) who was new to Judson, who we noticed was missing, who came forward to make decisions and if there were any "people issues" (needs, etc) that need to be addressed.  Beyond that I always wonder how people have grown from week to week either in their personal devotion or through the ministry of Judson.  There are always people who share with me on Sunday what they have learned or how a message or teaching has helped them, and those things are helpful as I seek to lead the community. These people tell me some things.  But they don't tell me everything.

I wonder about everyone I don't hear from?  Who is in silent agony, not sharing with anyone the painful things in their lives or their internal struggles with sin?  Who are the ones who put on the face of spirituality but really spend little time on their faith and in their secret moments have many doubts about faith that they deal with?  Who are the ones who are angry at me (or the church) because of unfulfilled promises or hurtful words?

Numbers tell us some things, but not everything. When the numbers are too big those who need attention get lost in the crowd.  Connect groups are great places to work out those things in faith that need dealing with.  In a numbers game, the smaller numbers of these Connect Groups can be instrumental in a healthy walk with god and others.  But not just Connect Groups.

I desire to Connect with those who struggle.  I just need to be more proactive in asking people the right questions so they can be open, real and authentic.  Numbers tell us some things.  They don't tell us everything.

No comments: