Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vows

After this morning I will have done something i have never done in 25 years of being a Pastor - performed 3 weddings in one week.  These couples were all people who had no connection to the church (one individual had attended for a short while) and I was just trying to serve them at a point of need.  I shared with each person the importance of these vows and how they really need to be kept - not as some legalistic process but in the Spirit of commitment.  Commitment.  That is not an idea that is common in many places.

Our culture seems to through out the idea that if it doesn't work for you, change to something else.  Commitment to a relationship is tossed away like we change our commitment to a Brand name or  business.  Some examples that we do this are:
  • Favorite sports team.  If my team doesn't win or if they trade my favorite player I won't cheer for them any more.
  • Contracts - If I don't like the contract any more I will either (1) cause trouble until the contract is changed or (2) not do my part of the contract until I get a new contract.  What has happened to honoring the contracts we sign?
  • Church - many people do not commit to a church, they attend and participate in a church until the church doesn't meet their needs and does something they don't like.
  • Marriage - Things are not going well so we just simply give up and decide not to work through the problem we have.  Til death do we part isn't real for many people.
We focus on the marriage like we do a wedding.  We are more concerned with what looks good (dresses and tuxes, flowers, decorations, etc) and what tastes good (food, duh!) and sounds good (music, readings, scripture and pastor's words).  The only reason everyone had gathered, though, is to witness the vows.  Everything else is secondary to the vows.  That is how it should be in marriage, but we switch things around in the busyness of life and forget that the vows are the key.  Once we understand that we can work through whatever issues there are without fear.  Our security is sure.

Let's look to the vows - and really hold them as primary.  it really helps!

3 comments:

miketacky said...

It seems we can make a bigger commintment to our TV shows than we can to our God and to each other. Maybe we need a TV guide for our faith. Oh wait we do it's called the Bible.

Pastor Kevin said...

Awesome, Mike!

Creig said...

After that very meaningful and stirring message Sunday, I wanted to renew my vows to my wife. If you had invited people to do so, I would have jumped out of my chair.