Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 24

Just catching up the blog - I didn't have my book and computer in the same place for several days.

Our love for God did not come first. We all know this is evident. I also think we need to understand that believing in God isn't the same as loving God. I do meet many people who say believe in God. They recognize that He exists. They see evidence of His work. But they really don't have a "stake" it that belief. They know about God.

Compare that to a spouse. I might say to my wife, "I know you are my wife. I have a marriage certificate that says you are my wife." But that doesn't have the power of really loving my wife. Because love always is followed by active response. Knowledge does not. That is the difference in many people I meet whose lives don't reflect what they say they believe.

How can we help people to love God?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can we help people to love God?
You have hit on a very important question. All too often we are busy in our churches with projects and the day to day chores that church life require of us. Could it be that loving and learning to love God is placed on a back shelf and we as the church are in need to take this subject out and examine it with a fresh heart.

You are right about knowing God vs. loving Him. I once had a wise man say to me “Kathy, God does not want us to know about Him, God wants us to Know Him” I wondered what was the difference and have been on this journey since that question.

Raised in a Christian home with godly teachers. My parents sent me to a private Christian school for twelve years. But I found with that question a lack in my education as to the difference.

Jesus says in John 17:3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. Life is knowing Jesus , not knowing facts about Him. So how can we teach people to know (ie love) Jesus. I am so encouraged by Jesus answer to this problem. HE prays for us as our high priest that the love of our Father would be in us for the Son, Jesus. I take these passages and ask the Father for the same thing that the Son asked for, John 17:26. I cannot even love God on my own power I need God’s love in me flowing through me to love God with.

How can we help people to love God? Teach them to reach out to God in prayer acknowledging their lack and asking for the Father , through the power of the Holy Spirit to fill them with love for God.


Kathy Ann