Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Luke 7

In my task oriented mind I saw that I had only one chapter to read this morning and I thought, "Great, this won't take very long!"  I forgot that the Bible is like a two-edged sword and is active and vibrant as we interact with its words.

This chapter deals with Jesus' authority over distance, death and sin, as well as having several responses to Jesus that we really need to consider.  John the Baptist has had some doubts while he was in prison and sends his disciples to ask if Jesus was the one, or if he should keep looking.  What a great question!  Why sit back and brood trying to figure it out on your own.  Step up and ask.  I wish people would do that with Jesus today!  Are you the One or should we look around for someone (or something) else.  What would our response be if someone asked us that question?

I also see the response of people to Jesus being a sometimes similar response I hear at the Church, complaining about this or that:  "This church is to this and that church is too that."  Give me a break and love and serve Jesus, and quit trying to get everyone to meet your expectations!

Then Jesus deals with sin, or rather he deals with our understanding of forgiveness and our response to being forgiven.  It is funny that Jesus flatters the pharisees at the same time he blows them out of the water. 

But my favorite statement in this passage today is verse 19 in the description of the Pharisees and lawyers response to John.  It says they rejected the purpose of God for themselves by not being baptized by John.  I wonder if that is connected to Jesus telling the Pharisees they have been forgiven little?

Oh how the scripture get me thinking, wondering and constantly turning toward God!

That's what I heard today.  What about you? 

No comments: