Thursday, February 9, 2012

Luke 10-11

Two things were impressed into my mind as I read:
  • Three times Jesus talked about the importance of hearing AND responding to the Word of God (or the words of Jesus).  Jesus hearing as those sermons and being in all those Bible studies and memorizing all of those verses don't mean a whole lot if you do not allow them to create action in your life!
  • The power of our prayer life is dependent upon our seeing God's response to our prayers as filled with Compassion (as a Father) and Power (he is able to do what we ask).  What do you think about as you prayer for others?  I believe the way in which we pray and what we pray for show our attitude toward what we think God is supposed to do.  
    • We do  pray for our needs and the needs of others.  
    • We do pray that God keeps us from temptation, although I am not always sure we partner with God as to what we put in our lives to keep us from being tempted.
    • Do we pray for God's Kingdom to come?  I rarely hear that prayer!
    • As we ask for forgiveness do we seek to forgive those who are indebted to us?
There is also an encouragement as we seek to grow the Kingdom of God:  "The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects Him who sent me." (10:16) Don't take the acceptance or rejection of those who respond to the gospel we present personally.  It is not, nor was it ever, about us.  God can bear the brunt of rejection and only God should receive the glory of acceptance.  Just be faithful as you are sent.

That's what I HEAR this morning, and I am seeking to respond to it in action.  What are you HEARing?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog