Sunday, July 3, 2011

I Was Thinking...

I have some random thoughts I have been thinking about, begun by things I have read or heard.
  • Giving is not what we think it is.  It is an exhilarating expression of trust in God.  Maybe our lack of giving is about a lack of faith in God.
  • If Christianity is counter-cultural, why do we think the Amish are so weird?
  • Fear of hell has never been a lure for me to draw closer to God.  Neither has the fear of God punishing me kept me from sinning.  It is God's kindness that leads me to repentance (Romans 2:4).  And I think it's been my desire to please God because of all that He's done for me that keeps me from sinning.
  • If I am not putting myself in a position to really NEED the Holy Spirit, do I have the right to expect the Holy Spirit to do anything in or through me?
  • In the Old Testament, priests served from ages 30-50.  At 50 they priest could help (assist) but could not do the duties of the priest. I have turned 50 this year.  What does this mean?
  • Last one - As I am sitting outside by the fire listening to the pond fountain flow and the fireworks exploding all around me I am very grateful for the life I have.  I am thankful for my wife and children.  I am thankful for me church.  Most of all, I am thankful for so many of you who I share life with.  
  Well, that is the randomness with which my mind sometimes works when I get to thinking.  Happy Fourth of July!

No comments: