Thursday, July 21, 2011

Feeling A Little Pharisiacal

Sometimes I am convicted by a word from another person.  Today is was from Pastor Steven Furtick when he wrote in his blog:

Preaching, when done correctly, should unburden people. As preachers, 
our job is to challenge people, yes, but not to burden them. When describing
the Pharisees and what they did to the people through their teaching, Jesus said: 
They tie up heavy loads and put them on men’s shoulders (Matthew 23:4).
 
This caused me to wonder if I indeed am tying a heavier load on people or not.  Some days I feel like I am challenging people.  Other days I wonder if I am pushing too hard.  The balance can be tricky, especially when dealing with so  many different people who are at so many different places in their Christian walk. I have seen churches in which there was no challenge to go beyond where the church was at and the leaders just patted people on the head told then it will be OK  These churches are dying.  I have also seen leaders who constantly challenge and push their people.  These churches seem tired.

In Moses last instructions to Israel in Deuteronomy he tells them, "What I am commanding you is not too difficult or beyond your reach...the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it."  (Deuteronomy 30:11, 14)  So how we are being told to live as Kingdom of God people is doable and not overly difficult.  I just pray that I present it in such a way that it is not a burden tied to the backs of those I serve, but words of life that help people to serve the Lord joyfully and gladly.

No comments: