Thursday, January 15, 2009

Chapter 1 - The Great Omission

In chapter one (Discipleship: For Super Christians Only?) Willard focuses on the idea that in most American churches, discipleship is clearly optional. I would agree. I see many in the church who have actually said “No” to being or becoming a disciple of Jesus by their very actions of neglect of spiritual things. Year in and year out, nothing ever seems to chance in their behavior or thought-life. Prejudices still exist. The same sins are still habitual. Obedience to Jesus is lacking.

I have focused on the grace of Jesus Christ for entrance into the Kingdom of God (which is accurate) and the church, but have stopped there, figuring that people will grow as they can. I neglected the fact that faith without works is indeed dead (ineffectual). I have always been a self-starter as a Christian and went after my faith without any prodding from others. In some ways, I assumed that everyone would do that. But I have bought into a thought pattern that only concerns itself with others wanting to become disciples, not on my obedience to make disciples. I clearly need to change.

Now, if I can just figure out how…..

An Apprentice of Jesus,

Kevin

No comments: