Tuesday, December 9, 2008

John Wesley Prayer

This is an outline of a Prayer John Wesley used on Thursday evenings. It was printed in 1733:

"To you, O God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, my Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier, I give up myself entirely. May I no longer serve myself, but You, all the days of my life.

I give you my understanding....

I give you my will. May I have no will of my own....

I give you my affections....what you love, may I love, what you hate, may I hate....

I give you my body...

I give you all my worldly goods. May I prize them and use them only for you....

I give you my credit and reputation....

I give you myself and my all....be my sole disposer and governor of myself and all...

O my God and my all, when hereafter I shall be tempted to break this solemn agreement, when I shall be pressed to conform to the world and to the company and customs that surround me, may my answer be: "I am not my own. I am not for myself, not for the world, but for my God. I will give unto God the things that are God's. God, be merciful to me a sinner."

No comments: