Monday, December 1, 2008

Facebook, MySpace and the Christian

I don't have a MySpace or Facebook account and don't plan on getting one. But I have heard stories from those who have them about the behavior of some Christians and the things that are placed on their sites. I know these things I hear are not indicative of a majority of Christians but I have found these things placed on the pages of professing Christians to be unsettling.

For some reason there is a thought that we can write out things using language we wouldn't dare use in another person' presence. I have heard about swearing, vulgar statements, backstabbing, lying abut who you are and many other things that are decidedly not what God would have us be about. What does that say to others who know you are a Christian? What kind of example are we setting? The Scripture is pretty clear:
(1Ti 4:12) "Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

Although there are many good things that happen on these accounts, watch out for the dangers associated with them. Be who Christ wants you to be. BE an example for others who think they become more cool by their use of certain language. And call them on it. WE are responsible for one another.

Probably the biggest reason I do not have one of those accounts is that it could be an incredible time waster for me. I think I could get lost in looking for people and not get done the things I need to get done. That is my personality.

Anyway, that is my own rant. REspond if you disagree or agree.

1 comment:

Joe Landi said...

I agree with you. It can be a great tool, but very dangerous at the same time. I enjoy the pictures from others and silly comments to one another, but sometimes it can be a cesspool of drama waiting to happen.