Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Prayer of Abandonment #5

For I love you, Lord, and so want to give myself,
To surrender myself into your hands,
Without reserve and with boundless confidence,
For you are my Father.


There is a lot in this long sentence.
  1. There is a longing to give ourselves in surrender. When we surrender we give over to someone else the control over what is next.
  2. This is the third time in this prayer that we put ourselves into God's hands. We have abandoned ourselves, commended (entrusted) our spirit and surrendered. Do we really understand what all this means?
  3. We do this with love, without reserve, and with boundless confidence. All three of these phrases should take some time to work through. Do we really give ourselves to give "without reserve?"
  4. For you are my Father. Not an abusive or distant father, but a loving trustworthy Father who has shown His worthiness to be surrendered to.

I give this prayer to you to use not once, but continually as a part of your own prayer life. I pray that in will enhance you prayer-life, spiritual life and relationship with God.

No comments: