Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grace

I am currently using David Nasser's book, "A Call to Die," as a guide to my devotional times each day. Today's focus was on grace and Nasser wrote,

"Some of us think God shakes his head and grimaces when he dispenses grace to us. We think he is reluctant to be kind to us, but that is not true at all. God delights in showing his goodness and forgiveness to us."

Think about it. We often approach the throne of God in fear because we know we have sinned and fall very short of the life God desires of us. We approach God and we see him scolding us and only forgiving us because we are grovelling at His feet. But we also see him holding back his love for us just a little, because we think he wants to have us prove our forgiveness.

But that is not the nature of God. That is not the nature of God's grace.

He looks at the ugliness of our sin, and forgives. Yes our sins deserve condemnation. Yes, Our sins deserve God's wrath. But that's what makes God's grace more than just a "I'll let it go this time," kind of thing. He forgives, picks us up, and sends us back out to try and live our lives the way God desires. Not out of fear, but out of thankfulness for what God has done.

I hope your day is filled with God's grace pouring into your life, allowing you to live a life of thankfulness.

Psalm 116:1,2 - "I love the Lord for he heard my voice, he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me I will call upon him as long as I live."

No comments: